Friday, November 17, 2006

Local AT Teams

So I'm trying to set up Assistive Technology teams in 6 local school districts. Currently I'm the only AT person in Allegan, and although we are rural and don't have the numbers larger schools have, I still can't be in two places at one time. I have been able to buy great Christmas presents with my mileage reimbursement checks I receive from all the traveling I do in our county. Here is my pitch to the Special Ed Supervisors to try to get Local AT Teams established:

"Blah blah...One of the projects I would first like to get started is to develop local Assistive Technology teams. I’m leaving it up to you to decide who your ‘team’ would be, or if you would even like to participate. Your team should consist of at least 2 people who are interested in using technology to help students participate fully in their education. It would be ideal to have one ancillary and one teacher from one of your buildings, but who ever is willing to do it is fine. I have set aside a total of $5,000 for stipends for team members, so depending on how many people are participating, they will receive somewhere between $350-$500 for being part of the A.T. Team this year. Here are the requirements for the team members:

Attend monthly meetings (some face-to-face, some via other forms) First meeting will be in November!

Complete an online class: A.T. in the Local School Districts (monthly meetings will revolve around class)

Write a grant-Breaking Down Barriers to Assistive Technology- http://www.readingmadeez.com/Grantform.php (they are guaranteed to receive the grant)

Provide their local district information regarding Assistive Technology (this may be in the form of newsletters/memo, talking with teachers and ancillary staff at meetings, etc...)

Complete a pre and post survey of their knowledge of A.T.

A.T. team members will receive:
A stipend, upon completing the pre and post survey at the end of the school year

Mileage reimbursement for attending monthly meetings

Free online course on Assistive Technology

Assistive Technology software for all students in their buildings (grant mentioned above)

Access to Allegan’s Assistive Technology lab and Lending Library

The first A.T. monthly meeting will either be on Tuesday November 21 or Tuesday November 28 (after school at the Development Center) depending on preference of teams. Please send me your team members’ names and email addresses via email to: gunderwood@alleganaesa.org as soon as you have them. If you are not going to have a local A. T. team please let me know that as well. "

So how many takers do I have so far...ZERO. I'm assuming that as soon as I remind the supervisors that I need a response, I will be able to get at least 2 or 3 to commit. But I wouldn't be honest if I didn't let you know how disappointed I was...I'm wondering if maybe we are too small to have local AT teams...if maybe I should be working in a bigger school district...But I've shaken off the bad feelings and am determined to get at least 2 teams established this school year. I KNOW that it is what's best for our county. The teachers and the students need the support. On the good side, the participants will get larger stipends because I won't have to share the money with as many participants as I thought. And if I still don't get any takers...I wonder how much it costs to clone myself...do you think the $5000 stipend would cover it??

Next time I'll write about UDL and how I hope to get started implementing it in our locals...YIKES! But I have a plan...

No comments: