Sunday, November 19, 2006

Meeting with 3 Gen Ed teachers

Tomorrow is my first meeting with 3 general education teachers who are going to begin implementing UDL strategies into their classes. Some of the things we will be deciding tomorrow are: Will they start right away (probably not), will they slowly begin implementing this school year (maybe) or will they receive training this school year and use the summer to help refine goals, add new ways to present their curriculum and new ways for the students to show what they've learned along with adding more motivating, out of the box activities that go along with their curriculum-basically waiting until next school year to begin implementing(maybe). I'm willing to work with any of the 3 alternatives. To help make this transition the easiest on me, we will be implementing Sue Hardin's 'Begin with Me!' project. http://www.beginwithme.misd.net/ She has created a very comprehensive approach to increase writing skills in students that allows technology to be integrated into the curriculum for all students. I've just ordered The Writer Ultra Lab http://www.writerlearning.com/ultra_lab.html which includes 30 Writers (similar to Alphasmarts but I prefer the Writer's built in features) some software, resources and best of all a laptop and printer all on a mobile cart. The gen ed classrooms will be sharing the cart. I already have Kidspiration and Inspiration, spell checkers, Universal Reader as well as headphones/mic so it looks like my toolkits are ready. I wonder if the teachers are as nervous about meeting me as I am of meeting them. I'll let you know how the meeting went next time...

No comments: